Problem with -3 switch

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Jan 12 07:20:12 EST 2009

On Jan 12, 11:05 pm, Christian Heimes <li... at cheimes.de> wrote:
> John Machin schrieb:
>
> > And therefore irrelevant.
>
> No, Carl is talking about the very same issue.
>
> > I would like to hear from someone who has actually started with
> > working 2.x code and changed all their text-like "foo" to
> > u"foo" [except maybe unlikely suspects like open()'s mode arg]:
> > * how many places where the 2.x code broke and so did the 3.x code
> > [i.e. the problem would have been detected without prepending u]
> > * how many places where the 2.x code broke but the 3.x code didn't
> > [i.e. prepending u did find the problem]
> > * whether they thought it was worth the effort
>
> Perhaps you also like to hear from a developer who has worked on Python
> 3.0 itself and who has done lots of work with internationalized
> applications. If you want to get it right you must
>
> * decode incoming text data to unicode as early as possible
> * use unicode for all internal text data
> * encode outgoing unicode as late as possible.
>
> where incoming data is read from the file system, database, network etc.
>
> This rule applies not only to Python 3.0 but to *any* application
> written in *any* languate.

The above is a story with which I'm quite familiar. However it is
*not* the issue!! The issue is why would anyone propose changing a
string constant "foo" in working 2.x code to u"foo"?

> The urlopen example is a very good example
> for the issue. The author didn't think of decoding the incoming bytes to
> unicode. In Python 2.x it works fine as long as the site contains ASCII
> only. In Python 3.0 however an error is raised because binary data is no
> longer implicitly converted to unicode.

All very true but nothing to do with the "foo" -> u"foo" issue.
Somebody please come up with an example of how changing "foo" to
u"foo" could help a port from 2.x working code to a single codebase
that supports 2.x and 2to3ed 3.x.