urllib2 - 403 that _should_ not occur.

Mon Jan 12 17:34:27 EST 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:38:20 -0600, Chris Mellon wrote:

>> Why Google would deny access to services by unknown User Agents is
>> beyond me - especially since in most cases User Agents strings are not
>> strict.
>
> If you look at the actual response text and not just the error code, you
> will get a clear explanation of why you were forbidden.

You have a funny idea of what constitutes a "clear explanation".

<H1>Forbidden</H1>
Your client does not have permission to get URL <code>/group/chromium-
announce/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml</code> from this server.

That hardly explains "Why Google would deny access to services by unknown
User Agents", does it?

--
Steven