Python threading

Brian Allen Vanderburg II BrianVanderburg2 at aim.com
Tue Jan 13 09:24:51 EST 2009

I'm doing some multi-threaded programming and before diving into the
C/C++ code I though I'd do some in Python first.  I decided to read
through the threading module and I understand some of it, but I don't
understand this, though I'm sure it is easy:

The condition object has a method _is_owned, which is called if the lock
doesn't have one.  The RLock does have one but a regular lock not.  It
is supposed to return true if the lock is owned by the current thread:

    def _is_owned(self):
        # Return True if lock is owned by currentThread.
        # This method is called only if __lock doesn't have _is_owned().
        if self.__lock.acquire(0):
            self.__lock.release()
            return False
        else:
            return True

It seems that for a condition without an RLock but a Lock,
self.__lock.acquire(0) will return False even if the lock is owned by
another thread other than the current thread, so _is_owned would return
True even if the lock is owned by another thread.

B. Vanderburg II