Ethernet packet size python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Jan 13 10:35:56 EST 2009

K-man wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am sending data using the socket interface in python, but I want
> to know how big the ethernet packet size is (in bytes).  I didn't
> really see a way using the socket library of how to do this.  Any
> suggestions?

There is no way to know what size Ethernet packets will result from
specific traffic. Or do you want to know the MTU size (largest possible
Ethernet packet size)? This shouldn't really matter, since large TCP
messages will be split into a sequence of IP datagrams, and large IP
datagrams will be automatically fragmented and then reassembled at the
other end.

Is there a specific reason this is important to you?

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119