read string in bits

Chris Rebert clp2 at
Wed Jan 14 08:32:58 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:21 PM, ts <thaisiang at> wrote:
> hi, is there a way to read a character/string into bits in python?
> i understand that character is read in bytes. Do i have to write a
> function to convert it myself into 1010101 or there is a library in
> python that enable me to do that?

It's not quite clear to me what you mean, but here are 2 guesses:
- If you want to convert an ASCII character to its ASCII integer
value, use ord()
- If you want to convert an integer into a string of its base-2
representation, use bin() [requires Python 2.6, I think]

Follow the path of the Iguana...