urllib2 - 403 that _should_ not occur.

ajaksu ajaksu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 13:56:47 EST 2009

On Jan 14, 5:14 am, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> ajaksu wrote:
>> [snip evangelism stuff]
> OK, but be aware that the PSF doesn't monitor the bugs looking for
> actions to take on behalf of the Python user community. In fact we
> aren't overtly "political" in this way at all. This doesn't mean it
> wouldn't be useful for the PSF to get involved in this role; just that
> right now it isn't, and a bug report probably isn't the best way to get
> action.

Acknowledged. I have posted a (pretty poor) support request @
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Basics/ and suggest
others do the same for Wikipedia and other big sites that block 3.0 (I
might build a list of those later today). Maybe a wiki page, some blog
posts, etc.

Best regards,
Daniel

Request: http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Basics/browse_thread/thread/498a39a89d81b650#
"""
Hi,
As mentioned in a comp.lang.python thread[1], the new version of
Python (3.0) cannot open pages @ groups.google.com.

It seems the UA of Python 3.0 ("User-Agent: Python-urllib/3.1") is
actively blocked, while that of Python 2.5 ("User-Agent: Python-urllib/
1.17") isn't.

This message is a call for help so that we can get Python 3.0 working
with groups.google.com. Is this the right place to bring the issue to
the attention of those that can fix it? Does anyone have a contact
that could speed up getting Python 3.0 working?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

[1]http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/
thread/088491d5a0d86f1b