Paul Rubin http
Wed Jan 14 22:06:03 EST 2009

alex23 <wuwei23 at gmail.com> writes:
> Paul, have you looked into Cython at all? I've only used it trivially
> but it does seem to provide the potential for static typing & improve
> compile time checking (as well as increased performance) while
> retaining as Pythonic a representation as possible.

I haven't.  Maybe I should.  I've looked at Pyrex and PyPy.  I've
spent quite a bit of time over the past year or so studying Haskell,
which has been very educational and worthwhile, but not all that
useful for my day-to-day tasks in the present state of things.

I just looked up Cython and see that it's based on Pyrex.  Worth
knowing about, I guess; but basically I think C is evil.

I may start looking into Pig Latin (http://wiki.apache.org/pig) for
these large data crunching tasks.  Unfortunately it is written in Java
and my attitude towards Java is probably the one typical of Python
programmers, if you know what I mean.