are there some special about '\x1a' symbol

R Fritz rfritz at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 14 23:34:41 EST 2009

Raps cane on floor.

It's probably an "end-of-file" sentinel because 'Z' is the last letter
of the alphabet. I suspect it comes from MIT. Unix, developed at a
telephone company, uses \x4, which was, in fact, the ASCII in-band
end-of-transmission code and would disconnect a teletype.

Does this qualify me for the dinosaur award?

R Fritz