*Advanced* Python book?

Luis M. González luismgz at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 07:51:46 EST 2009

On Jan 16, 5:27 pm, mk <mrk... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I looked for it I swear, but just can't find it.
>
> Most Python books seem to focus on examples of how to call functions
> from standard library. I don't need that, I have online Python
> documentation for that.
>
> I mean really advanced mental gymnastics, like gory details of how
> Python objects operate, how to exploit its dynamic capabilities, dos and
> donts with particular Python objects, advanced tricks, everything from
> chained decorators to metaprogramming. Dive Into Python comes closest to
> this ideal from what I have found, but still not far enough.
>
> Anybody found such holy grail?
>
> Regards,
> mk

I believe that any book will give you enough information about
python's objects behaviour.
But if you want to understand the more esoteric aspects of python (I'm
in the same situation),
perhaps you should investigate decorators and metaclasses.
A good starting point is the 3 article series in decorators by Bruce
Eckel in Artima ( http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=240808
).

I second the suggestion of reading samples and cookbooks, for example
in ActiveState's site.
I found particularly interesting one that shows how to implement an
ORM under 100 lines ( http://code.activestate.com/recipes/496905/ ).
This script goes deep into black magic and it's clear enough to grasp.

Luis