Totally confused by the str/bytes/unicode differences introduced in Pythyon 3.x

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at
Sat Jan 17 15:24:11 CET 2009

>> Does he intend to maintain two separate codebases, one 2.x and the
>> other 3.x?
> I think I have no other choice.
> Why? Is theoretically possible to maintain an unique code base for
> both 2.x and 3.x?

That is certainly possible! One might have to make tradeoffs wrt.
readability sometimes, but I found that this approach works quite
well for Django. I think Mark Hammond is also working on maintaining
a single code base for both 2.x and 3.x, for PythonWin.