string formatting documentation

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Jan 19 15:03:58 EST 2009

On Jan 20, 2:38 am, Alan G Isaac <alan.is... at gmail.com> wrote:
> But of more interest: you claim PEP 4 is not relevant,
> and that old string formatting is NOT deprecated.
> I would like assurance that it is not deprecated.

It is not deprecated YET; see this:

http://docs.python.org/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html#changes-already-present-in-python-2-6

PEP 3101: Advanced String Formatting. Note: the 2.6 description
mentions the format() method for both 8-bit and Unicode strings. In
3.0, only the str type (text strings with Unicode support) supports
this method; the bytes type does not. The plan is to eventually make
this the only API for string formatting, and to start deprecating the
% operator in Python 3.1.