pep 8 constants

Mon Jan 19 23:03:05 EST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:11:16 -0800, Brendan Miller wrote:

>> Constants would be a nice addition in python, sure enough.
>
> My original question was about PEP-8 and whether it is pythonic to use
> all caps to denote a variable that shouldn't be changed. More of a style
> question than a language question.
>
> I actually think *enforcing* constantness seems to go against the grain
> of the language so to speek

Why? Python has an infinite number of constants. The only difference is
that they are immutable objects, not names.

But regardless... yes, it is in my opinion Pythonic to use ALLCAPS to
designate constants (by convention). It isn't in PEP 8, but I don't think
that matters unless PEP 8 suggests a different convention.

--
Steven