Paul Rubin http
Tue Jan 20 00:57:29 EST 2009

Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid> writes:
> Take some not-that-trivial projects like Zope/Plone. There are quite a
> few lines of code involved, and quite a lot of programmers worked on it.

Zope is about 375 KLOC[1], which I agree is not trivial, but by
today's standards, it's not all that large.  Zope also has 275 open
bugs, 6 of which are critical.[2] The Space Shuttle avionics (written
in the 1980's!) are 2 MLOC in which only 3 errors have been found
post-release.[3] I think "large software system" today means 100's of
MLOC.  FWIW, Zope has 20x as much code as Django--is that a good
thing!?

[1] http://www.peterbe.com/plog/size-Zope3,Django,TurboGears
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope3
[3] http://haacked.com/archive/2006/10/20/The_Misuse_of_the_Space_Shuttle_Analogy.aspx#11147