Russ P. Russ.Paielli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 02:00:43 EST 2009

On Jan 19, 10:33 pm, Luis Zarrabeitia <ky... at uh.cu> wrote:

> So, Arianne 5's problem had nothing to do with _enforced data hiding_. (Why do
> you keep calling it 'encapsulation'?).

I keep calling it encapsulation because that is a widely accepted,
albeit not universal, definition of encapsulation. Google
"encapsulation" and see for yourself. For example, here is what the
Wikipedia page on OOP says:

Encapsulation conceals the functional details of a class from objects
that send messages to it.

Here is what another webpage says:

Definition: In Object Oriented Programming, encapsulation is an
attribute of object design. It means that all of the object's data is
contained and hidden in the object and access to it restricted to
members of that class.

Because those definitions are not universally accepted, however, I
usually say "enforced encapsulation" or "data hiding" to mean what
"encapsulation" means to most OO programmers who use a language other
than Python.