reading file to list

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 23:35:22 EST 2009

Rhodri James wrote:
> I *was* thinking of code produced in the real world, and I don't buy
> your assertion.  I'm not an academic, and I wouldn't hesitate to lay
> down a line of code like that.  As I said before, it fits into English
> language idioms naturally, and as a result is pretty self-descriptive.

The issue is whether the python code in the real world, by statistics,
uses a style such as list comprehension as discussed in this thread.
(to simplify the matter: whether code out there uses list
comprehension in situations when it can, by what percentage. I claimed
it is rare, being borderline esoteric. This can be interpreted as less
that 10%)

In partcular, the issue, is not about your opinion or joe tech
geeker's personal experiences of what they have seen. In newsgroups,
every joe geeker makes claims using personal experiences as if that
apply for the world. I, of course also based on my claims on personal
experience, however, the difference is that my claim is explicitly
made in the context of applying to the world. For example, my claim is
not about my experiences being such and such. My claim is about such
and such is so in the real world.

If, now, you claim that it is not so, then perhaps we might have
something to argue about.

If you can, say, as a example, have a code that crawl the web of all
google's own python code at google code for example, and do some
simple analysis and report what is the percentage, and if that
percentage is more than what i claim, i'll find it very interesting.
But if you simply have such code to do such scale of analysis, that's
far more interesting by itself than our debate.

Similarly, if you can find any evidence, say by some code researcher's
reports, that'd be great. At this point, i recall that i have read
books on such report. You might try to do research on such books and
read up.

> Long experience particularly in C suggests that you are entirely wrong...

Try to study more. I recommend spend less time coding or tech geeking
(such as reading blogs, studying languages, or studying computer
science ). I recommend taking a course in community college on
philosophy, logic, literature, economics. After that, your thinking in
coding and all the social issues related to coding, and computing
industry, will sharpen by far.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/