what's the point of rpython?

Rhodri James rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 00:58:57 EST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:37:44 -0000, Paul Rubin
<"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> "Rhodri James" <rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> In that case I'd second the suggestion of taking a long, hard look
>> at the Linux core locking and synchronisation primatives.
>
> Do you understand what the issue is, about CPython's reference counts?
> Do you have any idea how often the interpreter updates them?  Even
> using LOCK INCR (raw machine instruction, not portable C, no operating
> system involvement), manipulating the ref counts would be around 100x
> slower than it is now.

You asked a question about CPUs with atomic update, strongly implying
there were none.  All I did was supply a counter-example, and observe
that neither this nor the question were in fact helpful.

My inability to spell "primitive", on the other hand, is all my own
fault.