Start Python at client side from web app

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 21 05:10:45 EST 2009

Thomas Guettler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to start Python at the client side from a web application. The
> app is an intranet application, and all client PCs are under our control (we
> can install software on them).
>
> But I don't want to update the installation too often. Here is my idea:
>
> We create a custom mime-type and register it on the client PC. The web application
> can send signed python code to the client PC. If the signature is correct,
> the code will be executed at the client. The signature prevents others from executing
> code.
>
> Has someone seen or done something like this before?
>
> I can code this myself, but prefer to use some open source project, if it exists.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>   Thomas Güttler

You are better off using a cron job (or similar) on the client side,
getting the client to hit the web server for the code at regular
intervals, and if code is ready, execute. If code isn't ready, wait for
the next interval. Use https for security and have a shared secret
message to identify legitimate clients.

If you try to push code the other way, you will need a perpetual socket
open on the client side, making the client the server.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570