Beating a Timeout

K-Dawg kdawg44 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 11:50:33 EST 2009

Hi,

I am trying to write a python script that I can run to prevent a timeout of
webpage.  I have to use a system at work that keeps track of issues.  I use
this a couple of time an hour and it times out after 10 minutes.  The system
is really crummy and it rejects your username and password about 30-40 times
before it takes it.  It is supposed to integrate with Active Directory and I
don't think it does it very well.

So I have this open in Internet Explorer (its all in asp.net so it does not
work in any other browser).  I was hoping to have something simple like:

#c:\Python25\python

import urllib
import urllib2
import time

while True:
 result = urllib.urlopen("the_URL<http://sdeprod.brunswick.com/SDE/blank.aspx>
")
 print "Retrieved Page"
 time.sleep(300)
But this is not working....  The code on the page uses a hidden iFrame that
has a javascript file that monitors the time and intiates the timeout.  The
src of the hidden iFrame is what I keep trying to grab.

It is still timing out in IE.  Once it times out in IE I get an error in my
script saying:

IOError:  [Errno socket error] (10060, 'Operation timed out')

The system is terrible but I am stuck with it.  If it doesn't kick me out,
at least its bearable...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kevin