A different kind of interface

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 22 12:03:53 EST 2009

Steve Holden wrote:
> Doug Morse wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:13:49 -0800 (PST), Vic Kelson <Vic.Kelson at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>  How about IDLE? It's a nice tool for the Python programmer. I've tried
>>>  lots of IDEs, but when it comes down to it, on small-to-medium jobs I
>>>  am be very productive indeed using IDLE...

Since I currently only program in Python, IDLE does fine for me.
Write code, hit F5.  If the result is not right, maybe type a few
interactive lines to get more info before going back to the edit window.

Maybe someday I will look to see what alternatives such as below offer,
but if they do not put me in an interactive interpreter or imitation
thereof, like IDLE, to do post-mortem examination in, I would not likely
switch.

>> I find Stani's Python Editor (SPE) also good for small to medium jobs, and I
>> think that it might achieve many of the OP's objectives.
>>
> If you just want something small and Python-specific then DrPython is
> also a reasonable choice. It uses the Scintilla editor component that is
> also used by Scite, another possibility (though personally I find the
> bare Scite editor just a little too tweaky to configure).

tjr