USB in python

Astan Chee astan.chee at al.com.au
Thu Jan 22 20:50:19 EST 2009

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> Astan Chee wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> Im trying to write a program for my USB device and I'm thinking of using
>> python to do this. The USB device is of my own making and it is
>> activated when one of the two data pins of the USB is given about 5V (or
>> similar to whatever the power pin is getting). Now I'm confused to if
>> the software to activate this can actually be written and how do I do
>> it? Any examples? I've seen pyUSB but it doesn't give me control over
>> the hardware and how much power is going through the data pins.
>>
> Unless I'm not getting something here.

Hi,
Thanks for all the responses but I forgot to mention that I have very
little hardware understanding (at least in english) and the device
itself it very simple and only needs about 5V power to be active. The
problem here is that I want to control when the device is active using a
computer so I thought USB might be a good choice since its simple (but
didn't turn out to be). I'm open to any other suggestions on how I might
achieve this hardware and software-wise (as in what interface should I
use, etc). Also I'm trying to stay away from (complex) micro controllers.
Any ideas?
Thanks again
Astan