The First Law Of comp.lang.python Dynamics

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 23 16:06:00 EST 2009

Tim Rowe wrote:
> 2009/1/23 Kay Schluehr <kay.schluehr at gmx.net>:
>> Whatever sufficiently sophisticated topic was the initially discussed
>> it ends all up in a request for removing reference counting and the
>> GIL.
>
> Well, maybe, but it seems to me that the real issue here is that we
> need to remove reference counting and the GIL.

Guido will give up reference counting and the consequent immediate gc
when but only when *someone* presents an implementation that does and
and that runs faster.  Given the current ferment in dynamic language
implementation, he just today wrote on pydev list "CPython's
implementation strategy *will* evolve".  Whether that means R.C. goes
away or not remains to be seen.