strange error whilst porting to 2.6

Robin Becker robin at NOSPAMreportlab.com
Fri Jan 23 17:51:44 EST 2009

python 2.6 indicates this error whilst running a script that works fine
under Python 2.5.

Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded in
__subclasscheck__' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored

I suppose this must be related to some kind of isinstance or issubclass
check, but how can I locate the problem if no traceback is shown?

Googling seems to indicate that __subclasscheck__ is an abstract base
class method, but clearly in 2.5 I cannot mess with abc stuff.
--
Robin Becker