Relax Syntax for Augmented Arithmetic?

Aahz aahz at
Sat Jan 24 05:32:22 CET 2009

In article <mailman.7801.1232715276.3487.python-list at>,
Steve Holden  <steve at> wrote:
>I understand what you are saying, but if the id() associated with a name
>doesn't change after augmented assignment it seems a little wrong-headed
>to argue that "the augmented assignment always binds a new value to the
>What you are actually saying is that it's up to the method that
>implements the augmented assignment whether the same (mutated) object or
>a different one is returned, right? And that the left-hand side of the
>assignment is always bound to the result of that method.

That's overall more correct, but I wanted to emphasize that there is
*always* a binding operation being performed.  Whether what gets bound to
the target is a new object or an existing object is up to the augmented
assignment method.
Aahz (aahz at           <*>