Web authentication urllib2

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Jan 24 13:18:58 CET 2009

Gabriel wrote:
> First, thank you both
> I think this isn't basic auth, because this page has form login.
> I read site's html source and used wireshark to analyze communication
> between my browser and website and i really find out that a was ignoring
> one field
> I added it to the parameters but it didn't help..
> Maybe i'm still missing something
> Here's the post packet:
> http://student.fiit.stuba.sk/~sevecek06/auth.txt
> and here's the code again, with little change and real web location added:
>     opener = urllib2.build_opener(urllib2.HTTPCookieProcessor())
>     urllib2.install_opener(opener)
>     params = urllib.urlencode(dict(login='login', pwd='pass', page=''))
>     f = opener.open('https://www.orangeportal.sk/', params)
>     data = f.read()
>     f.close()
If you look at the login form on the home page of that portal you will see

<form name="form_login" action="/portal/do_login.dwp" method="POST">

This means that the form should be submitted to

Some forms submit to the same URL that contain them, but many don't.
This is one of the ones that requires submission to a different URL!

Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119