*.python.org broken?

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 05:48:25 EST 2009

I experienced the same problem here in Brazil. Tweeks ago I could not access
any *.python.org site. Today I tried and it worked. The problem seemed to be
limited to Python's domain because I could access every other site that I
tried the same day.
More info:

- At least for me I didn't seem to be IPv6 related.
- It failed in the same day in more than one PC, using different providers.
- The domain name was resolving ok.

My guess is that it was some kind of BGP failure. Perhaps the AS that hosts
Python's servers injected a wrong route or someone else did, effectively
stealing all the traffic for that prefix. That's more common than people
realize (specially nowadays when countries such as Pakistan try to block
domains by messing with BGP).

Carlos Ribeiro

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:44, Cousin Stanley <cousinstanley at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Is anybody else having trouble accessing sites (including www, docs,
> > wiki) in the python.org tree, or is it just me? (Or just .au?)
>
>   Yes, connecting to python.org sites has been problematic
>  for me as well ....
>
>  I don't remember when the trouble started, but it's been
>  problematic for at least a week or longer here ....
>

> --
> Stanley C. Kitching
> Human Being
> Phoenix, Arizona