unable to print Unicode characters in Python 3

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Mon Jan 26 19:57:11 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:42 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>wrote:

> > I was hoping to find something that allows me to print any Unicode
> > character on the console.
>
> You will have to debug the Python interpreter to find out what's
> going wrong in code page 65001. Nobody has ever resolved that mystery,
> although it's been known for some time.

Well, the first step would be to tell Python that there is a code page
65001. On Python 2.6, I get a LookupError for an unknown encoding after
doing "chcp 65001". I checked the list of aliases in Python 3 and there was
no entry for cp65001.

Python 2.6.1 (r261:67517, Dec  4 2008, 16:51:00) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
on
win32
>>> print u'hello'
Traceback (most recent call last):