optparse with numpy.array?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 01:12:53 EST 2009

On 2009-01-27 00:01, Johan Ekh wrote:
> Thank you James,
> but I just can't optparse to accept an array, only integers, floats ans
> strings.
>
> My code looks like this
>
> from optparse import OptionParser
> parser = OptionParser()
> parser.add_option('-t', '--dt', action='store', type='float',
> dest='dt_i', default=0.1, help='time increment where lsoda saves results')
> parser.add_option('-T', '--tstop', action='store', type='float',
> dest='tstop_i', default=1.0, help='duration of the solution')
> parser.add_option('-m', '--mass_vector', action='store', type='float',
> dest='m_i', default=[1.0, 1.0], help='vector with lumped masses')
> op, args = parser.parse_args(sys.argv[1:])
>
> I want this to work for m_i = array([1.0, 2.0, 3.0]) but the optparse
> complains that m_i is not a float.

Well, yes, because you declared that --mass_vector was type='float'. You will
need to subclass OptionParser in order to parse something that is not one of the
included types. Yes, it is a bit cumbersome; it's one of the reasons I usually
use the third-party argparse library instead. You only need to supply a parsing
function rather than subclass.

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you want when you say that you want to
create an array interactively. Can you show me an example command line that you
want to parse? Keep in mind that in many shells, ()[] characters are specially
handled by the shell and are not convenient for users.

BTW, I am subscribed to the list. You do not need to Cc me.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco