socket.unbind or socket.unlisten? - socket.error: (48, 'Address already in use')

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at
Tue Jan 27 10:49:03 CET 2009

I have a program that uses socket.bind() and socket.listen() frequently.
After that program stops, it is not able to bind() again for a while:

 File "/home/gandalf/Python/Lib/orb/accesspoints/", line 27, in
  File "<string>", line 1, in bind
socket.error: (48, 'Address already in use')

The problem with this, is that this server program SOMETIMES need to be
restarted very quickly. I tried to find the solution in the socket
module. But there is no "socket.unbind" or "socket.unlisten". How can I
tell the OS that I do not want to listen on that address anymore, so
other programs can bind on it immediatelly?

(Yes I know that I can use setsockopt to allow listening multiple
sockets on the same address, but this is NOT what I need...)