Pexpect and telnet not communicating properly

David Anderson lists at pern.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 11:27:27 EST 2009

I am trying to automate the following session - to talk to my router:

=======================
telnet speedtouch
Trying 192.168.1.254...
Connected to speedtouch.
Escape character is '^]'.
Username : Administrator
Password :

                             ______  SpeedTouch 780
                         ___/_____/\
                        /         /\  6.1.7.2
                  _____/__       /  \
                _/       /\_____/___ \  Copyright (c) 1999-2006, THOMSON
               //       /  \       /\ \
       _______//_______/    \     / _\/______
      /      / \       \    /    / /        /\
   __/      /   \       \  /    / /        / _\__
  / /      /     \_______\/    / /        / /   /\
 /_/______/___________________/ /________/ /___/  \
 \ \      \    ___________    \ \        \ \   \  /
  \_\      \  /          /\    \ \        \ \___\/
     \      \/          /  \    \ \        \  /
      \_____/          /    \    \ \________\/
           /__________/      \    \  /
           \   _____  \      /_____\/
            \ /    /\  \    /___\/
             /____/  \  \  /
             \    \  /___\/
              \____\/

_{Administrator}=>?
Following commands are available :

help             : Displays this help information
menu             : Displays menu
?                : Displays this help information
exit             : Exits this shell.
..               : Exits group selection.
saveall          : Saves current configuration.
ping             : Send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets.
traceroute       : Send ICMP/UDP packets to trace the ip path.

Following command groups are available :

firewall        service         autopvc         connection      cwmp
dhcp            dns             dsd             dyndns          eth
adsl            atm             config          debug           env
expr            grp             hostmgr         ids             igmp
interface       ip              ipqos           label           language
mbus            memm            mlp             nat             ppp
pptp            script          snmp            sntp            software
system          systemlog       upgrade         upnp            user
voice           wireless

{Administrator}=>exit

========================

I am using the following code:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import pexpect
import sys

child = pexpect.spawn('telnet 192.168.1.254')
fout = file('mylog.txt','w')
child.logfile = fout

child.expect('sername : ')
child.sendline('Administrator')
child.expect('assword : ')
child.sendline('')

child.expect('_{Administrator}=>')
child.sendline('?')
child.expect('_{Administrator}=>')
child.expect('exit')

========================

This times out after child.sendline('Administrator')

mylog.txt contains:
Trying 192.168.1.254...

Connected to 192.168.1.254.

Escape character is '^]'.

Username : Administrator
Administrator

Can anyone help me in finding out what I am doing wrong?

Regards
David