Python + IDLE under Linux Suse 11.0

Rene Heymans rene.heymans at
Tue Jan 27 20:18:32 CET 2009

Dear All,

This is my first post to this list.

When googling of "*python + idle + CallTip + "Exception in Tkinter* *
callback"* one finds within a list of 7 results:

at the top of the list (Nr. 1) a link to dated
August 2004 (I understand it is a bug fixed and closed.);

as Nr. 3 in the list a link't-know-where-to-look-...-td21004997.html
December 14, 2008.
However, I have a situation where the symptoms are almost identical to the
one described by the link Nr 3 (see output below) and that I can reproduce
at will with something that looks like what is reported in the link Nr 1.

The environment is:
Linux OpenSuse 11.0
Python 2.5.2
Idle 1.2.2

When typing:

*>>> l = len(*

to query the length of an object, instead of getting a Call Tip, I get on my
console the message below:

*Alibaba:~ # idle
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/", line 1403, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 151, in handler
    r = l[i](event)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 55, in
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 79, in open_calltip
    self.calltip.showtip(arg_text, sur_paren[0], sur_paren[1])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 66, in showtip
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 35, in
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/", line 2833, in bbox, 'bbox') + args)) or None
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/", line 1030, in _getints
    return tuple(map(getint,
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: '(117,'

and when closing the parenthesis the following messages:

*Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/", line 1403, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 151, in handler
    r = l[i](event)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 62, in
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 65, in open_calltip
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 41, in
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/idlelib/", line 126, in hidetip
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'destroy'*

Furhtermore there is one little X window that opens up, totally empty and

IDLE works but each time you expect a Tip to appear you receive instead a
bunch of messages to the console and you lose focus on your IDLE window,
meaning you have to click on it to get the focus again and continue typing.

I checked on Suse Repository 11.1 but then the available version is Python
2.6, which I don't want presently and which would require many updates to
solve dependencies. I also tried to download the source of Python 2.5.4 from . I can download the files, unpack them and run the trio of
commands (./configure, make, make install) and all run smoothly. Python
2.5.4 starts and works nicely. But now IDLE begins but when you ask to run
the shell, a window opens but you don't see anything: no menu, no begin, no
>>> prompt, nothing ...

I wonder (but I may be totally wrong here) if Suse packages Python + IDLE in
a very special way ? Why would */usr/bin/python* be an executable of about
6KB within Suse and be an executable of about 3MB when generating from the

This is my first encounter in porting a prototype under development to Linux

Thank you for any help you may provide.
All the best,