New to python, open source Mac OS X IDE?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Tue Jan 27 18:38:57 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:06 PM, joseph.a.marlin at gmail.com <
joseph.a.marlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
> myself what all the praise is for!
>
> I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
> even use an IDE for Python?
>
> Any recommendations on open source Python environments?
>

> Thanks!

Personally, I like Eclipse with the Pydev plugin. I believe that there is a
plugin for Netbeans, but I don't know how well it works. There are also a
couple of Python IDEs written in Python, like IDLE, which comes in the
standard install, and SPE (http://pythonide.blogspot.com/). The Python wiki
has a list of all the major Python IDEs if you want to look at others.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments