unable to print Unicode characters in Python 3

Ross Ridge rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 28 13:29:08 EST 2009

Thorsten Kampe  <thorsten at thorstenkampe.de> wrote:
>I have
>[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Console\TrueTypeFont]
>"00"="DejaVu Sans Mono"

As near as I can tell the DejaVu Sans Mono font doesn't include Chinese
characters.  If you want to display Chinese characters in a console window
on Windows you'll probably have change the (global) system locale to an
appropriate Chinese locale and reboot.

Note that a complete Unicode console font is essentially an impossibility,
so don't bother looking for one.  There are many characters in Unicode
that can't be reasonably mappped to a single fixed-width "console" glyph.
There are also characters in Unicode that should be represented as
single-width gylphs in Western contexts, but as double-width glyphs in
Far-Eastern contexts.

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU