what's the point of rpython?

Mike tutufan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:33:33 EST 2009

On Jan 17, 5:55 pm, "Brendan Miller" <catph... at catphive.net> wrote:
> The python devs seem to
> consider the GIL a non-issue, though they may change their mind in 3
> years when we all have 32 core desktops,

For what it's worth, I am currently using Python to perform a
scientific computation on 1400+ cores, and it seems to work fairly
well.  (http://greylag.org/ if you're curious.)

There are a number of things that annoy me about Python (even though
it's my favorite everyday language), but the GIL isn't among them.

The rare cases where the GIL is truly a problem can be balanced
against the large majority where threading is simply inappropriate
anyway.  That the latter might help compulsive threaders kick their
habit (or at least head for more convoluted horizons) might be
considered a virtue.

Mike