Profiling Python Apps on Mac?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 01:47:46 EST 2009

On 2009-01-28 13:14, RGK wrote:
> I'm writing a python app on a Mac (in Eclipse + PyDev w/ Python2.5 &
> wxPython under OSX 10.4)
>
> As I make program architecture decisions, it would be nice to be able to
> profile the choices. Should I add that extra thread? Is this big-assed
> xml object I just created horribly bloated or kind of ordinary.
>
> Is there anything out there I should look into to if I want to see how
> those things are affecting my app? The closest I have is the widget
> iStat, but it's a very static low resolution view of what's really going
> on.

I have a script kernprof.py which provides a few conveniences over the builtin
cProfile module. One of its modes of operation is to inject a decorator into the
__builtins__. It will enable the profiler on entry to the method and disable it
on exit. This lets you localize your profile results to just the part of your
code that you are interested in. I found this especially useful in GUI apps
which require user interaction to trigger the part of the code you are actually
interesting in profiling. You don't want the interesting parts of your profile
to be obscured by the GUI event loop waiting for your input.

You can get it as part of my line_profiler package (which you may also be
interested in; cProfile profiles function calls, line_profiler profiles
individual lines).

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/line_profiler

You can view the profile results interactively with "python -m pstats
my_script.py.prof", RunSnakeRun, or pyprof2calltree if you manage to install
kcachegrind on your system:

   http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/runsnakerun/
   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyprof2calltree/1.1.0

I don't recommend using hotshot because it is deprecated and slow to postprocess
the data dumps. Also, I don't recommend using the plain profile module because
it slows down your program rather more than cProfile. See the Python
documentation for an overview of these modules:

   http://docs.python.org/library/profile

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."