problem with program - debugging leading nowhere

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jan 30 19:22:26 EST 2009

Matthew Sacks <ntwrkd at gmail.com> writes:

> i am trying to figure out what has gone wrong in my python program. it
> is complaining that there is an indendation error. should be simple
> enough but im stuck on this one. if anyone can help unjolt me it would
> be appreciated.

Step one: Ensure the problem doesn't get worse. Set your text editor
to use spaces for indentation and to *never* put an ASCII TAB
character (U+0009) into your source code. They are, by default,
invisibly indistinguishable from a sequence of spaces, and completely
unnecessary.

Step two: Run your program with ‘python -t’ instead of ‘python’, to
determine if your problem in this instance is caused by using TAB
characters for indentation.

Step three: When asking people to help with understanding an error
message, it helps to post the actual (complete) error message :-)

--
 \     “Sittin' on the fence, that's a dangerous course / You can even |
  `\       catch a bullet from the peace-keeping force” —Dire Straits, |