problem with program - debugging leading nowhere

Jervis Whitley jervisau at
Sat Jan 31 00:59:24 CET 2009

> error message:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<string>", line 1, in <string>
> IndentationError: expected an indented block (<string>, line 39)
> code:

It looks like you have commented out a line on line 30, you need to place
in here, as python is expecting an indented level after your 'if'. (how
about a pass statement or a print saying some placeholder help details.)

On a side note, I've only had a quick skim, you shouldn't compare o to an
empty string "" using the 'is', is tests identity not equality. So what you
are saying is
is o the exact same empty string that I am creating "" (obviously it never
will be, because you just created it then with "") . Use the equality
operator == instead.
or in your case !=.