String to List Question

Hanna Michelsen hannarosie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 18:05:46 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am brand new to python and I love it, but I've been having some trouble
with a file parser that I've been working on. It contains lines that start
with a name and then continue with names, nicknames and phone numbers of
people associated with that name. I need to create a list of the names of
people associated with each singular person (the first name in each line).
Each name/phone number is separated by a tab but if someone doesn't have a
nickname there are two tabs between their name and number.

I've been trying to figure out how to test for two tabs, skip over these
people and move onto the next name but I just can't figure out how that will
work in python.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Hanna