question of style

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 02:47:49 EDT 2009

Simon Forman wrote:
> Hey I was hoping to get your opinions on a sort of minor stylistic
> point.
> These two snippets of code are functionally identical. Which would you
> use and why?

If self is an object (and it must have been), it would be preferrable to
set self.higher and self.lower to a known value inside self.__init__ and
avoid having the comparison.

I'm guessing you have something like this in your __init__:

def __init__(self, lower=None, higher=None):
    self.lower = lower
    self.higher = higher

that should be changed to:

def __init__(self, lower=None, higher=None):
    self.lower = lower if lower is not None else higher
    self.higher = higher if lower is not None else lower

or whatever else-value you see is appropriate for the context.