Custom CFLAGS with distutils

Rocco Rutte pdmef at gmx.net
Fri Jul 3 10:54:26 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've been trying to make distutils build mercurial with custom cflags.
The only way this works is to change Makefile because I don't want to
put my changed CFLAGS into the environment and I tend to forget to run
"make" with a CFLAGS=... option.

Google brings up a special "Setup" file which should solve my problem,
but it somehow doesn't. I've tried:

    mercurial mercurial/base85.c -Xcompiler -arch x86_64
    mercurial.base85 mercurial/base85.c -Xcompiler -arch x86_64

for base85.c in the mercurial/ subdirectory. Hacking Makefile does the
trick, but having a Setup file working would never produce merge
conflicts.

What am I doing wrong?

Rocco