Clarity vs. code reuse/generality

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 12:10:42 EDT 2009

kj wrote:
> I'm will be teaching a programming class to novices, and I've run
> into a clear conflict between two of the principles I'd like to
> teach: code clarity vs. code reuse.  I'd love your opinion about
> it.

Sometimes when the decision between clarity and generality becomes too
hard; you might fare better to save the code, go out for a walk to
forget the code, and start a blank text editor. Being in a fresh mind,
you may found an alternative approach, e.g.:

from __future__ import division
def binary_search(lo, hi, func, target, epsilon):
    # reverses hi and lo if monotonically decreasing
    lo, hi = (lo, hi) if func(hi) > func(lo) else (hi, lo)

    param = (lo + hi) / 2

    # loop while not precise enough
    while abs(func(param) - target) > epsilon:
        param = (lo + hi) / 2

        if target < func(param):
            hi = param
        else: