is it possible to write USSD / SMS /SS7 apps in python

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 05:53:19 EDT 2009

BTW, if you just want to be able to send/receive SMS's in a Python
application, there are several alternatives.
1. Most operators, or 3rd party bulk-SMS vendors (who resell SMS capacity
from operators at a premium but in smaller bundles than what an operator
would sell), offer --
  a. HTTP based mechanism to send/receive messages
  b. SMPP protocol. OpenSMPP has a C API, and you could create Python
wrappers for same.

2. For very low volume application, you could use the Serial (or Serial
emulation over USB/Bluetooth) way, i.e. using "AT" commandset of a tethered
GSM mobile (with inbuilt GSM modem), or a separate GSM-modem (PCMCIA,
USB,...) via Python, to send / receive SMS's.