Python/pyobjC Apps on iPhone now a possibility?

J Kenneth King james at agentultra.com
Tue Jul 7 19:29:25 EDT 2009

Stef Mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com> writes:

>>> So, the question is, can the same thing be done for Python apps?
>>>

>> I love Python and all, but it'd be apt to ask, what's the point?
>>
>> The iPhone is running on what? A 400Mhz ARM processor? Resources on the
>> device are already limited; running your program on top of an embedded
>> Python interpreter would only be adding pressure to the constraints;
>> even if it was an optimized interpreter.
>>
> I don't know iPhone,
> but I've done some experiments with 400 MHz arm, running Windows Mobile,
> and found PocketPyGUI running very very well on these devices.
>
> cheers,
> Stef Mientki

Sure, but it's pretty relative in the sense that it might be fast enough
if I'm sitting around but too slow if I want to enter some information
in the app before the next train comes.

As a programmer, I don't really see the benefit of using an embedded
interpreter on the iPhone.  Objective-C isn't the greatest language, but
it's easy to learn and well supported.  It also compiles into some
pretty speedy executables.

If you can sacrifice a little run-time speed for your users in exchange
for ease of development on your part, all the more to you.

My original point was that I don't see the benefit in that decision.