DBI module deprecated at Python 2.5--what to use in its place?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Jul 8 00:30:26 EDT 2009

On Jul 8, 3:05 am, dana <dana_at_w... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a variety of Python 2.4 scripts that utilitize the DBI and ODBC
> modules together. Although I don't have Python 2.5, I've been informed
> the DBI module has been deprecated at 2.5.
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1) Although deprecated, will it work at all in 2.5? Does the fact that
> it is deprecrated mean it has been removed entirely, or does Python
> 2.5 simply issuing a warning?

Deprecated certainly doesn't mean removed.

> 2) What do I use in place of DBI for my Python 2.4. scripts that
> import modules DBI and ODBC together. I don't use DBI directly. It was
> simply a dependency for the ODBC module as best I knew.

For a start, none of (DBI, ODBC, dbi, odbc) are standard Python-
supplied modules. Perhaps you are referring to the odbc (and dbi) from
the pywin32 package? Where did you get them from? If you can't
remember, try this:

|Python 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32
| Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.
| 'C:\\python24\\lib\\site-packages\\win32\\odbc.pyd'

If this is what you're talking about, you should be asking on the
pywin32 dicussion list (http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-
win32).

General advice: if you are thinking of upgrading your Python version,
go straight to 2.6. odbc is AFAIK stuck at version 1.0 of the Python
DB API; consider switching to pyodbc (http://code.google.com/p/
pyodbc/)

HTH,
John