OT: unix to Windows technology

Kenneth Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 12:51:57 EDT 2009

Xah Lee wrote:
> Dear unixers & lispers,
>
> i've been using Mac for the past 19 years, and been a professional sys
> admin or web app developers on the unix platform, since 1998 (maily
> Solaris, Apache, Perl, Java, SQL, PHP). In june, i bought a PC (not
> for the first time though), and made a switch to Windows, for the
> first time, in the sense as a developer instead of just a casual PC
> user i've been.
>
> In the past month, i've spend about 5 hours a day digging into MS
> Windows tech, in particluar, read over 200 Wikipedia articles in
> detail related to Windows technology. (192 of them linked)
>
> Here's a write up of the whole story, my experiences, including some
> tech introduction to MS Windows from a sys admin or programer point of
> view.
>
> • Switching from Mac/Unix To PC/Windows
>   http://xahlee.org/mswin/switch_to_windows.html
>
> Some slightly noteworthy subsections are:
>
> • Removing HP/Compaq Software
>   http://xahlee.org/mswin/hp_bundled_apps.html
>
> • Installing Cygwin Tutorial
>   http://xahlee.org/mswin/installing_cygwin.html
>
> • Mac and Windows File Conversion
>   http://xahlee.org/mswin/mac_windows_file_conv.html
>
> • Unix And Windows File Permission Systems
>   http://xahlee.org/mswin/file_perm_systems.html
>
> • Introduction to Windows Scripting
>   http://xahlee.org/mswin/windows_scripting.html
>
> Some articles (not shown above) are still work in progress, such as
> VBScript tutorial and PowerShell tutorial. Hoping to complete in the
> coming months or years.
>
> comment & feedback welcome, esp if you are a Windows expert and answer
> some of my unanswered questions on the page.
>
>   Xah
>http://xahlee.org/

You just discovered PCs are cheaper?

The funny thing is that that is Microsoft's answer to the Apple Mac-PC
ads, they show people shopping for computers and just comparing hardware
and price as if this is some kind of breakthrough. But I understand:
they have no answer to Windows being such a nightmare and the Mac being
such a joy.

kt