Examples of Python driven Microsoft UI Automation wanted

Tim Harig usernet at ilthio.net
Thu Jul 9 13:45:13 EDT 2009

On 2009-07-09, DuaneKaufman <duane.kaufman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 12:18 pm, Tim Harig <user... at ilthio.net> wrote:
>> On 2009-07-09, TheSeeker <duane.kauf... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Specifically, I have a WinForms application I will be wanting to
>> > automate. Does anyone have some Python examples of driving Microsoft
>> > UI Automation they could share with me to get me started? The
>> > structure of the UI automation classes etc. seem quite convoluted, and
>> > I am having difficulty getting my brain wrapped around it.
>> If you find a way to work through the UI using the keyboard (tabs, etc);
>> then, you can send it keyboard commands using WScript.WshShell.SendKeys():
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8c6yea83(VS.85).aspx
> Unfortunately, I need to be able to find out the contents of a few
> text-boxes as well,
> so SendKeys isn't all I need.

Then you will need some way to import your application as an object so that
you can gain access to the methods and properties directly.  Using
IronPython you should be able to access anyting in the GAC.  If you
register your UI componets then you should be able to access them.  If not,
or using cpython, you might be able to do something like:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fh1h056h(VS.71).aspx

to get a mashalled COM object.