property using a classmethod

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Fri Jul 10 06:38:49 EDT 2009

Bruno Desthuilliers a écrit :
(snip)
> You could write your own custom descriptor. Or just use an additional
> level of indirection, ie:
>
>    myProperty = property(lambda self: self.myClassMethod())

Sorry, looks like I didn't read carefully enough. The above code won't
work if you intend to lookup the property directly on the class object,
ie "MyClass.myProperty". If that was your intention, you'll need a
custom descriptor. The following code should do the job, or at least get
you started:

# python 2.5.x

# the custom (non binding) descriptor
class ClsProperty(object):
     def __init__(self, fget):
         if not isinstance(fget, (classmethod, staticmethod)):
             # XXX better error message
             raise ValueError(
               "fget must be a classmethod or staticmethod"
             )
         self.fget = fget

     def __get__(self, obj, cls=None):
         if cls is None:
             assert obj is not None
             cls = type(obj)
         return self.fget.__get__(obj, cls)()

# helper -> a simple decorator
def classproperty(func):
     if not isinstance(func, (classmethod, staticmethod)):
         func = classmethod(func)
     return ClsProperty(func)

# example use
class Foo(object):

     # the hard way
     @classmethod
     def bar(cls):
         return "%s.bar" % cls.__name__

     quux = ClsProperty(bar)

     # the simple way
     @classproperty
     def baaz(cls):
         return "%s.baaz" % cls

Given your example, this should be enough. If you need a binding
descriptor (one with a setter), you'll have to implement the __set__
method (and possibly __del__). Google for "python descriptor" to find
more doc about the descriptor protocol.

HTH