tkinter problem

Paul Simon psimon at sonic.net
Fri Jul 10 12:47:42 EDT 2009

"David Smith" <dns4 at cornell.edu> wrote in message
news:h35f78$pts$1 at ruby.cit.cornell.edu...
> Paul Simon wrote:
>> "Peter Otten" <__peter__ at web.de> wrote in message
>> news:h3481q$d95$00$1 at news.t-online.com...

>>> Zip or tar doesn't matter, you are installing "from source".
>>>
>>> Python has to find the necessary include files for tcl/tk. These are in
>>> separate packages that you have to install before you invoke Python's
>>> configure script.
>>>
>>> I don't know what they are called on your system -- look for tk-dev.rpm,
>>> tcl-dev.rpm or similar.
>>>
>>> You may run into the same problem with other modules like readline.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> Thank you Peter.  I understand what you are saying but don't know how to
>> do
>> it.  Although I installed from source, I followed a "cookbook" recipe.
>> Could you tell me what files to execute, where they might be, and file
>> arguments?  I'm just ignorant, not stupid. ;-).
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Just install the tkinter package from the Mandriva Linux Control
> Center's Software Management system.  I just did it, doing a search for
> tkinter brought it right up.  All done.
>
> --David

Thanks to all for your patient help.  I have made some progress, but still
no success.  I installed Active Tcl-8.5.7 and corrected the PATH
accordingly.  However I still get a "missing" message on building Python.
"Failed to find the necessary bits (!) to build these modules:

_tkinter (among others)
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for teh
module's name."

Not sure what bits are, euphemism?  but am about to wipe the disk and
reinstall linux, etc.

Paul