convert Dbase (.dbf) files to SQLite databases

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Jul 15 12:25:08 EDT 2009

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a lot of old Dbase files (.dbf) and I'll like to convert these
> to SQLite databases as automatically as possible.
> Does anybody know a tool/Python script to do so?
>
> I know, I could use dbfpy and create the SQLite table and import all
> data. But is there something easier?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
>
> Helmut.

Greetings!

If your tables are either dBase III or Visual Foxpro 6 (may work with
other VFP versions...) you can try
http://groups.google.com/group/python-dbase

#open table
import dbf
table = dbf.Table('/path/to/old/dbf')

#generate .csv file
table.export()	# defaults to same name with csv extension

#access records
for rec in table:
     tups = tuple(rec)
     lst = list(rec)
     dct = rec.scatter_fields()

I haven't used SQlite, so I'm unable to provide samples for that portion
of the conversion.

Hope this helps.

~Ethan~