Why not enforce four space indentations in version 3.x?

Inky 788 inky788 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 09:32:34 EDT 2009

On Jul 10, 7:35 pm, Ben Finney <ben+pyt... at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> walterbyrd <walterb... at iname.com> writes:
> > I believe Guido himself has said that all indentions should be four
> > spaces - no tabs.
>
> Yes. That's a “should” and not a “must”, even though PEP 8 says it
> with a simple imperative::
>
>     Use 4 spaces per indentation level.

That actually sounds pretty weird. "Don't do {foo}. Really, I mean
*really* don't do {foo}. Oh, also, the interpreter allows you to do
{foo}. But don't do it! I mean it!".

Very ... perlish, if you ask me.

I realize that a small portion of the community likes the tabs.
They're sold on the tabs. They like the tabs. But tabs are an archaic
holdover from an era when typewriters had physical tabstops on them.
Actually, after *that* they're a holdover from a program called `make`
whose designers unfortunately decided to use tab "characters" to
prefix commands. The tab is vestigial. Your text editor can treat 4
consecutive spaces as a unit if you wish. Let tabs go away. Stop using
them. If your editor keeps irrationally inserting them, make it stop.