Override a method but inherit the docstring

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jul 17 06:03:29 EDT 2009

Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> writes:

> Just thinking aloud: Write a patch for pydoc that looks up the
> base-class documentation.

That doesn't scale; I want the docstring to be discovered by the normal
interface (the ‘__doc__’ attribute) by *every* tool that gathers
docstrings from methods.

Also, I want to have this behaviour not for every method missing a
docstring, but only for selected methods.

> Of course that might be misleading when A.f and B.f are up to
> something completely different...

Exactly.

--
 \     “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” —Aldous |
  `\                                                            Huxley |